Friday, February 24, 2012

Teachers Change Lives

Our dreams act as compasses, pointing to the direction we should travel as we set a course of action for our lives. A dream gives us hope for the future and a vision for the present. Sidney Hook once said, "Everyone who remembers his own education remembers teachers, not methods and techniques." I am thankful for teachers in my life who helped to mold and shape me into the teacher I am today. Yesterday, I had the chance to work with Faith Barber's Teacher Cadets at South Aiken High School. It always gives me hope when I have the opportunity to meet and work with students who are considering education as a profession. I want to thank Mrs. Barber for being a teacher who changes lives and for lighting the pathway for others who might consider this great profession as their life's work.

While at South Aiken, I had the chance to thank one of my former teachers, Mrs. Sheila Suggs-Green! Mrs Suggs was my ninth grade Algebra teacher! She taught much more than Algebra, she taught me to believe in myself, to persevere through difficult math problems and life challenges, and to never settle for anything than my best. She continues to change lives around her today through her work as an administrator. I'm thankful for her influence, support, and encouragement!

I also want to introduce you to Michelle Shearer, the National Teacher of the Year. I had the chance to have lunch with her last week at the South Carolina Teacher of the Year Workshop. We talked about our love for the education profession and the difference teachers make! It's folks like Mrs. Barber, Mrs. Suggs-Green, and Mrs. Shearer that make me proud to be a teacher! Check out Michelle's interview below with Todd Scholl, CERRA's coordinator for Communications and Technology!


No comments:

Post a Comment