Sunday, March 2, 2014

"While I Teach... I AM Hope!"

Last week I was out running a few last minute errands to get ready for our teacher leader conference and a quote caught my eye at the checkout counter. 

“Most obstacles melt away when we make up our minds to walk boldly through them.”
                         ― Orison Swett Marden
2014 District Teachers of the Year

It was quite appropriate for the obstacles we faced in having the event. Winter Storm Pax put all plans on hold as we had to postpone the conference. Fortunately, we were able to reschedule the event. As we plan each year for our teacher leaders, the goal is to not simply create an event, but to create experiences that changes people's lives. Darleen Sutton, our 2014 SC Teacher of the Year, and our team did an amazing job of persevering through all of the obstacles to make the conference a huge success!

The obstacles melted away in Myrtle Beach! On opening night, the Aynor Blue Pan Jam Band from Aynor Elementary kicked off our event and the 2013 National Teacher of the Year, Jeff Charbonneau, inspired us all with an uplifting message! The conference provided opportunities for us to grow as teacher leaders, network, and be rejuvenated. Our local forms are doing amazing work and are making a difference in the lives of students and communities! I love South Carolina's state motto, "While I breathe, I hope!" Educators are a source of hope for a brighter future! Our theme for the week, "While I teach, I AM hope!" There are still worlds to change, lives to touch, powerful work to be done!  I am inspired by each of our South Carolina District Teachers of the Year! At the event, they raised over $2,700 dollars for the Ken Bower Teacher Cadet Scholarship through our silent auction! We also brought in over 2,500 books for the Leadership SC project Readers to Leaders! This project will provide books for children in need of books within their homes across SC! I am hopeful about all that will happen as a result of this life changing experience for the SC Teacher Forum!


Over 2,500 books will be in the hands of SC students!

No comments:

Post a Comment